Finding Your True Passion
Being miserable isn't fun. I tortured myself for 8 months trying to figure out my passion. I had no idea where to even begin - so I started reading:
1) "The Four Hour Work Week" by Tim Ferriss - is a bit extreme but it made me think completely differently;
2) "The Tipping Point" by Malcolm Gladwell - is amazing (I read it like a reference manual and it is covered in notes) and this led me to
3) "Outliers" also by Gladwell. I also started studying technology and internet based companies: Apple; Zappos; Groupon; and Four Square for examples.
Soul searching at many stages ended in complete exasperation that I would never find my true passion. But I was told – just keep digging – you will find it.
Then a friend pointed out I was passionate about taking care of my skin. I hadn’t thought about it that way – for me, it was a way of life. For the past 10 years, I had made a point to keep my face out of the sun and it had paid off. However, the summer before I had been diagnosed with Basal Skin Cancer. I did a ton of research and found the best information on www.skincancer.org. I had Mohs surgery and had multiple laser treatments to minimize the scar. Today you can barely see it but I was at risk for getting it again and I needed to step up my game.
Read more: Darkest before the Dawn
After researching UVB and UVA, three facts stood out:
1) these radiation rays are equally strong in December as they are in August;
2) most of the skin changes as we get older (dark spots and wrinkles) are accelerated by the sun and it is called Photoaging; and
3) here is the kicker....these damaging rays go through glass. When you are in your car.....or sitting in front of a window at work.
If we spend as much time preventing as we do reversing the signs of aging - beauty should be a lot easier.
I couldn't find an anti aging daily moisturizer with SPF 30 that didn’t feel thick and heavy and leave my skin with a white sheen. That’s when I started digging. I had my passion all along – I just hadn’t realized it would be the basis to start my company.
Read more: Starting a Company is like Falling in Love
If anyone has any other suggestions for great books on successful company strategies etc I'd love to hear from you.